Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken and Vegetables
This delicious slow cooker meal of chicken and vegetables pairs up nicely with couscous and pita bread.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1(15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1(14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 4large carrots, chopped
- 4large garlic cloves, halved
- 1(3 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1tablespoon olive oil, or more as needed
- 1large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½pound green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 3cups water
- 2cups couscous
Step 1Combine turmeric, ginger, coriander, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper in a small cup. Rub mixture over chicken and let sit at least 30 minutes.
Step 2Combine chickpeas, diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, carrots, garlic, and cinnamon stick in the bottom of a 6- to 7-quart slow cooker.
Step 3Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker, bone-side-up. Add onion to the same skillet. Saute over medium-high heat until onions have taken on a yellow color from turmeric and are starting to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Step 4Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for approximately 2 hours.
Step 5Place green beans and bell pepper over chicken. Cover and cook approximately 3 hours more.
Step 6Meanwhile, boil 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Add couscous and stir. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let sit until water is absorbed and couscous is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 7Place hot couscous on each plate and top with chicken and vegetables. Spoon juices from the slow cooker over each serving.