Easy Weeknight Chicken Cacciatore
Hearty and satisfying and easy enough for a weeknight! Serve over rice or your favorite pasta and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3(8 ounce) bone-in chicken legs with skin
- ⅔cup all-purpose flour
- ¼cup olive oil
- 1medium green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½small onion, sliced
- 4cloves garlic, sliced, or more to taste
- ½teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1(32 ounce) jar roasted red pepper and garlic tomato sauce
- 1½ cups water, or as needed
Step 1Dip chicken pieces in flour and shake off excess.
Step 2Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown well, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Drain most of the oil from the skillet, leaving about 1/8 inch.
Step 3Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour in spaghetti sauce and add enough water to thin mixture just a little; sauce will thicken as it cooks. Stir well and add chicken to the sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken to coat and bring to a simmer.
Step 4Cover, lower heat, and cook, turning chicken and scraping the bottom of the pan often, until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 40 minutes.