Vegetarian Thai Green Coconut Curry
This vibrant vegetarian Thai Green Curry recipe is so simple to make from scratch, with no packaged curry paste required.
- Serves: 2 persons
- For the Green Curry Paste:
- 1stalk fresh lemongrass (thinly sliced, or 3 tablespoons frozen)
- ¼can coconut milk
- 1to 3 Thai green chilies (or jalapeño )
- 1cup fresh cilantro (packed, leaves & stems)
- 1shallot (chopped)
- 4to 5 cloves garlic
- 1to 2-inch piece galangal (or ginger, sliced)
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 2tablespoons lime juice (fresh)
- ½teaspoon cumin (ground)
- ½teaspoon coriander (ground)
- ½teaspoon white pepper (ground)
- 1teaspoon brown sugar
- ½teaspoon salt
- For the Remainder of the Dish:
- 1to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½cups tofu (firm, cubed, or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- ½to 3/4 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- Optional: 2 to 3 makrut lime leaves (fresh or frozen)
- ¾can coconut milk
- 1green bell pepper (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- 1to 1 1/2 cups asparagus (or green beans, chopped)
- 1large handful cherry tomatoes
- ½cup fresh Thai basil (or sweet basil)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place all green curry paste ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz to create a fragrant green curry paste; you may need to add more coconut milk if using a blender. To make the sauce by hand: Mince and stir all sauce ingredients together in a bowl, or use a mortar and pestle to mash dry ingredients followed by liquid ingredients. Set aside.
Step 3Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil and swirl around, then add the green curry paste. Stir-fry for 1 minute to release the fragrance.
Step 4Add the tofu or chickpeas and stir until all ingredients are covered well with sauce.
Step 5Add the stock plus lime leaves (if using). Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer 5 to 7 minutes.
Step 6Add the coconut milk and the vegetables, and simmer 10 to 13 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
Step 7Remove curry from heat and taste for salt and spice.
Step 8Serve directly out of the wok, or transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle over the fresh basil (gently tear larger leaves into shreds). Sliced red chile peppers can also be used as a topping, one that adds more heat.