Tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes)
Try these tteokbokki (Korean-style spicy rice cakes) as a snack or side. A popular street food, they make a great addition to a Korean feast
- Serves: 4 persons
- 500g garaetteok (cylindrical rice cakes)
- 500ml vegetable stock or water
- 10 ½tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 15 ½tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp corn syrup
- 200g eomuk (Korean fish cakes), roughly cut
- 3spring onions, cut into thirds
Step 1If using refrigerated rice cakes, soak in warm water for 15 mins. Place a large frying pan over high heat and pour in the stock (or water). Bring to a boil, then add the gochujang, soy sauce, sugar and corn syrup. Stir and reduce to a medium heat.
Step 2Tip the rice cakes and fish cakes into the pan of sauce. Simmer for 10 mins until the rice cakes are soft and the sauce has thickened and clings to the rice cakes. Stir in the spring onions and serve immediately.