Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb
Lamb has a unique and delicate flavor--and the grill only enhances it! This recipe features butterflied leg of lamb, which grills up well.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1tablespoon/15 mL dry mustard
- 1teaspoon/5 mL ground cardamom (may substitute ground ginger)
- 1tablespoon/15 mL apple cider vinegar
- ½cup/120 mL frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)
- ½cup/120 mL Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon/15 mL fresh rosemary
- 2tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- 4to 6 pounds/1.8 to 2.7 kg American lamb leg, boned and butterflied
Step 1Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
Step 2Gradually whisk in vinegar. Let stand 15 minutes.
Step 3Whisk in apple juice concentrate, mustard, rosemary, and oil.
Step 4Season marinade to taste with coarse salt and pepper.
Step 5Place lamb in glass baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 6Spread 1/3 cup/80 mL of the marinade over the top to coat. Turn over and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread remaining marinade over lamb.
Step 7Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Step 8Preheat grill to medium heat and spray grill rack with nonstick spray.
Step 9Place lamb on grill and reserve dish with marinade. Grill 15 minutes. Turn lamb over. Grill 15 minutes, brushing with marinade from the reserved dish.
Step 10Turn lamb over again and grill until thermometer registers 145 F/65 C for medium-rare, 160 F/70 C for medium or 170 F/75 C for well, often brushing with marinade, about 5 minutes longer per side.
Step 11Transfer lamb to a platter.
Step 12Cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 min.
Step 13Slice lamb thinly and arrange on a platter to serve.