Chickpea tagine & couscous
Make a quick veggie one-pot for dinner – this recipe is ideal to make on a camping stove. It uses canned chickpeas and tomatoes spiced up with harissa
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1bunch of spring onions , trimmed and sliced
- 4garlic cloves , finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 170g tagine paste
- 1lemon , zested and juiced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 50g pitted dates or prunes, roughly chopped
- 2x 400g cans chickpeas
- 230g jar piquillo peppers , roughly chopped
- couscous of your choice, to serve
Step 1Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, or cast iron skillet over ashen coals, and fry the spring onions, garlic and half the coriander for 2 mins until softened.
Step 2Stir in the tagine paste and half the lemon juice, and cook for 1 min more until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, dates, lemon zest and 100ml water, season to taste and cook for 10 mins until the mixture is thick and rich.
Step 3Stir in the chickpeas and peppers and cook for 5 mins to warm through. Drizzle in the remaining lemon juice and season well. Remove from the heat and add the remaining coriander. Serve with your favourite couscous on the side – we have plenty of recipes to choose from.