Spicy Vegan Lentil Dahl
This spicy lentil dahl recipe is a dairy-free vegan soup that is hearty and delicious. It's also easy and inexpensive to make and great with flatbread.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon sesame oil (or olive oil)
- 1cup onion (white; finely chopped)
- 2cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1tablespoon fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 4cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1cup dried red lentils ( rinsed and picked over )
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- Garnish: dairy-free soy yogurt
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2In a 3-quart stockpot or other medium-sized soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until the chopped onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Step 3Stirring constantly, add the water or broth, lentils, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt. Bring to a low boil, then turn down the heat to low, cover and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are very tender.
Step 4Stir in the tomato paste until well combined. Cook several minutes more, or until the soup is at the desired temperature and consistency, adding more water to the dahl if needed.
Step 5Garnish with a dollop of dairy-free soy yogurt if desired. Serve hot and enjoy.