Chestnut & pecan loaf with harissa sauce
Combine chestnuts and veg with smoky harissa sauce in this lighter-than-standard nut roast. Packed with goodness, it delivers three of your 5-a-day, too
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tsp rapeseed oil
- 1onion, finely chopped
- 1aubergine, sliced lengthways and diced
- 2celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1tsp dried sage
- ½tsp dried oregano
- 3tbsp thyme leaves
- 2large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2x 400g cans borlotti beans, drained
- 25g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 180g pack cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- smoked paprika, for sprinkling (optional)
- 250ml passata
- 1garlic clove, finely grated (optional)
- 1-2 tsp smoked chilli harissa
- large pinch of dried oregano
Step 1Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line a large loaf tin with baking parchment. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion, aubergine, celery, dried herbs, thyme and garlic for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until soft and golden.
Step 2Tip one can of beans into a bowl along with three-quarters of the second can. Add half the fried veg mixture and the egg. Season and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in the breadcrumbs, three-quarters of the nuts, the rest of the veg and the reserved beans, then spoon into the tin, smooth the surface and press the reserved nuts into the top. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, if using. Bake for 40 mins until firm and golden. Leave to stand for a few minutes to firm up, then turn out.
Step 3Meanwhile, simmer the passata with 80ml water, the garlic, if using, and harissa and oregano for 5-10 mins until thickened. Spoon over slices of the loaf.