Savory Bread Pudding With Artichokes, Cheddar and Scallions
Tangy marinated artichokes star in this cheesy, golden-topped casserole, which is layered with scallions, Cheddar and baguette cubes that get crisp at the edges. Look for the best-quality marinated artichoke hearts, then taste them before using. If they seem very acidic, give them a rinse and pat them dry before proceeding.
- Serves: 6 persons
- Unsalted butter, for greasing the pan and foil
- 2 ¼cups milk
- 6large eggs
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1large baguette (10 to 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained (2 cups) and rinsed, if needed to decrease acidity
- 6scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- ¾packed cup parsley leaves, plus more for serving
- 1large garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 1teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 8ounces grated Cheddar (2 cups)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Step 1Heat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter a 2-quart shallow casserole or gratin dish. Butter one side of a piece of foil large enough to cover the dish during baking.
Step 2In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Gently toss in baguette cubes, and let the mixture sit while you prepare the remaining ingredients, stirring it occasionally.
Step 3In a food processor, pulse together the artichokes, scallions, parsley, garlic, hot sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. (Alternatively, you can chop everything finely by hand.)
Step 4Scoop half the soaked bread into the casserole dish and arrange in an even layer. Top with half the artichoke mixture and half the cheese. Repeat layers of bread, artichokes and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil, buttered-side down.
Step 5Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil. Continue to bake until golden at the edges and springy in the middle, about 15 minutes. (If you’d like, broil on low for 1 to 2 minutes for a more browned top.) Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the top and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with more hot sauce on the side.