A frittata recipe perfect for a beginning cook, with variations that let you customize to your own taste.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 12large eggs
- ½cup heavy cream
- ½cup shredded or crumbled cheese (optional; we love Cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or goat cheese. You can also add a mix of different cheeses)
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2-3 cups sliced or chopped vegetables (such as potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, bell peppers, potatoes, zucchini or summer squash)
- 2cups chopped, packed leafy greens (such as swiss chard, kale or spinach)
- ½cup chopped cooked or cured meats or fish, such as bacon, ham, sausage, or salmon (optional; this is a great use of leftovers!)
- Handful of fresh herbs, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Step 1Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Step 2Whisk the eggs and heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until well combined. If using, stir in the cheese.
Step 3Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and slightly caramelized to a pale gold color and glossy sheen, about 10 minutes.
Step 4Add the sliced or chopped vegetables and cook until they are and any water they release has evaporate, about 5 minutes.
Step 5Add the leafy greens and stir until wilted and bright green. If the greens release any water, continue to cook until it's evaporated, or you could drain the excess liquid.
Step 6Remove the pan from the heat, mix in the cooked meats or fish (if using) and the chopped herbs. Season generously with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Step 7Pour the egg mixture over the cooked ingredients and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the eggs are just set and the frittata slightly puffs up, 30-40 minutes. When you gently shake the pan the eggs should slightly shift back and forth.
Step 8Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Step 9Use a rubber spatula to free the frittata from the pan and invert it onto a plate ( here's how to flip a frittata ). Slice into wedges and serve.