Indian-Inspired Lentil Stew
A warm and hearty Indian-inspired lentil stew. Perfect for a cold night. The flavors of curry and cumin make this a very tantalizing dish and fill the kitchen with a very aromatic fragrance. This dish is easy to prepare and very yum! I like to serve this over steamed brown rice and with naan.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2(14.5 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2(14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1small sweet potato (garnet yam), cut into small cubes
- ½cup chopped onion
- 6cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 2leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- 1teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½teaspoon kosher salt
- 1pint cream
Step 1Combine broth and lentils in a large pot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
Step 2Stir in stewed tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Stir in curry powder, cumin seeds, and salt. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 15 minutes.
Step 3Taste to adjust spices. Stir in cream and serve.