Spicy 3-Minute Calamari
This recipe is by Mario Batali and takes About 8 minutes. Tell us what you think of it at The New York Times - Dining - Food.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2tablespoons pine nuts
- 2tablespoons currants
- ¼cup caperberries
- 4garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 1cup basic tomato sauce
- 1 ½pounds cleaned calamari, tubes cut into 1/4-inch rounds, tentacles halved
- 8scallions, thinly sliced (reserve some for garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 1Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large sauté pan until just smoking. Sauté the pine nuts, currants, caperberries, garlic and red-pepper flakes until the pine nuts are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, and bring to a simmer. Stir in the calamari, mix well and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, or until the calamari is just cooked and completely opaque. Toss in the scallions, and season with salt and pepper. Pour into a large, warm bowl, sprinkle with the reserved scallions, drizzle with olive oil, and serve immediately.