Roasted Chicken With Crispy Mushrooms
The sherry in this easy sheet-pan recipe makes it feel a little like chicken Marsala. But roasting everything on a sheet pan lets the mushrooms crisp at the edges and turns the chicken thighs golden brown. It’s slightly more sophisticated than your average weeknight chicken dinner, but still speedy and fuss-free. Serve it with rice or noodles to soak up all the buttery, winy pan juices.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2to 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal) and freshly ground black pepper
- 2garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 1 ½teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus 3 thyme sprigs
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 12ounces mushrooms (about 7 cups), such as oyster, maitake, shiitake or cremini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2teaspoons minced fresh tarragon (or marjoram or sage), plus more for garnish if you like
- 1tablespoon dry (fino) sherry or dry vermouth (or 1/2 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 tablespoon orange juice)
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Flaky salt, for serving
Step 1Heat the oven to 425 degrees. On a large, rimmed sheet pan, season chicken all over with 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Rub garlic, thyme leaves and 1 tablespoon oil on chicken. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.
Step 2In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, onion wedges, tarragon, thyme sprigs and a large pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Toss with remaining 2 tablespoons oil until well coated.
Step 3Spoon mushroom mixture around chicken. Roast until chicken is cooked through, and the mushrooms and onions are golden brown and crispy, 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 4Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer chicken, onions and mushrooms to a serving platter.
Step 5While the sheet pan is still very hot, add the sherry. Deglaze the pan by gently swirling the sherry and using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom. Stir in butter. (if you have a mini whisk, use it to whisk in the butter, otherwise a spoon is fine.) Pour pan sauce on top of chicken, onions and mushrooms, and serve sprinkled with flaky salt on top and more tarragon if you like.