Chopped Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Here’s an easy summer salad that’s always a winner. There are many similar chopped salads served throughout the Eastern Mediterranean, but this version with halved sweet cherry tomatoes is especially attractive. Your own take can be a variation on this one: Feel free to use large tomatoes, chop the vegetables as small or large as you like (roughly chopped has its charms), add other herbs like basil, mint or dill, or swap the feta for mozzarella.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1cup diced red onion
- 2garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 3tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2roasted peppers, preferably orange or yellow, chopped
- 3cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3cups chopped thin-skinned cucumber, such as Persian, skin on, in 1/2-inch cubes
- ½cup chopped celery hearts, plus leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4ounces feta or queso fresco, crumbled (about 1 cup)
Step 1Put onion, garlic, vinegar and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Let macerate for 10 minutes.
Step 2Add roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss well. Let macerate for at least 20 minutes, tossing several times with the dressing. You can also prepare the ingredients in advance, and assemble the salad up to 1 hour before serving.
Step 3To serve, toss once more and transfer to a deep platter or wide bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and feta.