Brussels Sprouts Salad With Apples and Walnuts
Raw brussels sprouts can stand up to the boldest and most assertive of flavors. Pair the shredded sprouts with a garlicky lemon dressing, plenty of aged Parmesan and crushed toasted walnuts. Toss in something crispy and sweet (apples and pears are ideal) and a bit of something fresh (mint and pomegranate) for a balanced bite.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1cup walnuts
- 1pound brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1small garlic clove, finely grated
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more, if desired
- ¼cup finely grated Parmesan or pecorino, plus more for shaving (about 2 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1tart apple, such as Pink Lady, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- ½cup parsley, tender leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 3tablespoons olive oil
Step 1Toast walnuts in a skillet over low heat, shaking pan frequently, until evenly toasted and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer nuts to a cutting board and chop.
Step 2Remove all outer leaves from the brussels sprouts (reserve cores for roasting or pickling) and place in a large bowl with garlic, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 cup Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Massage leaves until they are all evenly coated. Let sit about 5 minutes. (This will help them soften.)
Step 3Add walnuts, fennel, apple and pomegranate seeds (if using) to brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Add mint, parsley and olive oil and season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if desired. Garnish with shavings of Parmesan.