Hummus With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This recipe is by Mark Bittman and takes 20 minutes, plus at least 2 hours' soaking. Tell us what you think of it at The New York Times - Dining - Food.
- Serves: 12 persons
- 1cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 2cloves garlic, more to taste
- ¼cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon pimentón, more to taste, optional
- Lemon juice to taste
- Pita chips or raw vegetables, for serving.
Step 1If time allows, soak chickpeas in water to cover overnight; if not, boil in water to cover for 2 minutes, then soak for 2 hours.
Step 2In a pot, combine chickpeas and tomatoes in water to cover and simmer, partially covered, until chickpeas are very tender, adding water if necessary. Drain, reserving a little cooking liquid.
Step 3Combine in a food processor with salt, pepper, garlic, oil, pimentón if using and reserved cooking liquid as necessary to get machine going. Purée, then add lemon juice to taste, along with more oil, pimentón or salt if desired. Serve with pita chips or raw vegetables. (This will keep, refrigerated, for about a week.)