Congee with chicken
Try Good Food reader Nancy Charoen Ledlie's fabulous version of congee, a savoury rice porridge to which she adds shredded soy sauce chicken legs
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2garlic cloves, finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped or sliced
- 4spring onions, finely sliced, white and green parts separated
- 360g cooked jasmine rice (100g uncooked rice should make this amount)
- 1litre chicken stock
- 2cooked chicken legs, shredded
- 1-2 tsp fish or light soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
- small handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 4tsp chiu chow chilli oil
- pinch of ground white pepper
Step 1Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the garlic, ginger and spring onion whites for 2 mins until fragrant and soft.
Step 2Add the cooked rice and stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins – it should become thick, like porridge. You can add more liquid (up to 500ml) while cooking if you prefer a looser consistency.
Step 3Stir in the cooked chicken and cook until the chicken is fully heated through. Add the fish or soy sauce, adding more to taste if needed, and the sesame oil, if using. Stir.
Step 4When you’re ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with the spring onion greens, the coriander, chilli oil and a pinch of white pepper.