Jeweled Grains With Broccoli, Peas and Red Onion
Inspired by Persian jeweled rice and grain bowls, this dish combines brown rice, farro and black sticky rice with a jumble of shaved broccoli, pickled red onion, pistachios, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. When cooking multiple grains, pick ones that more or less require the same grain-to-water ratio and cook time so you can cook them all together in the same pot. This dish can be served warm, cold or at room temperature, served over salad greens or topped with flaky fish. It is endlessly adaptable based on the season or the contents of your fridge.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ½cup farro, rinsed
- ½cup short-grain brown rice, rinsed
- ¼cup black sticky rice, rinsed
- ½cup frozen peas
- 1small red onion, peeled, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 5tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1(1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1large or 2 small heads broccoli
- ⅓cup raw or roasted unsalted pistachios
- ¼cup raw or roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½cup dried cherries or cranberries
Step 1In a medium pot, add the farro, brown rice, black rice and 1 1/2 cups water. Stir to combine the grains, then bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the grains are tender yet chewy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Scatter the peas on top, cover and let sit, 10 minutes.
Step 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss the red onion and agave with 2 tablespoons vinegar; season with salt and pepper to taste. Let macerate, 20 minutes. Drain the onions before using.
Step 3In a large bowl, stir together the remaining vinegar, tamari, grapeseed oil, sesame oil and ginger. Holding the broccoli stalk firmly in one hand and working over the large bowl, use a sharp knife to shave the floret end into a rough dust, chopping until you reach mostly stalk. (Reserve the stalks for another use.) Add the pistachios, sunflower seeds and tart cherries to the bowl and toss to coat.
Step 4Fluff the grains and peas with a fork and transfer to the bowl; toss to coat. Garnish with the pickled onions.