Eggs au Gratin with Vegetables
A healthy twist on a hearty classic.
- 2teaspoons fennel seeds
- sea salt to taste
- 8teaspoons lemon-infused olive oil
- 2medium red bell peppers, julienned
- 2medium yellow bell peppers, julienned
- 7stalks green onions, thinly sliced
- 1chile pepper, minced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2medium avocados, chopped
- 1cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8large eggs
Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Step 2Crush the fennel seed in a mortar and mix with a little sea salt.
Step 3Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and green onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chile pepper and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season the mixture with fennel seed-salt mixture and pepper.
Step 4Divide the vegetables among 4 small oven-proof dishes. Place avocado pieces on top. Roughly crush feta with a fork, and spread it on top as well. Crack 2 eggs into each dish.
Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until eggs are set, about 15 minutes.