A Simple Mexican Dish: How to Make Chilaquiles With Tortilla Chips
An adaptable and easy chilaquiles recipe turns stale chips or leftover corn tortillas into a crunchy base for a customizable breakfast.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2to 3 cups tortilla chips (approximately 30 chips from a bag)
- 1 ¼cups green salsa (or red salsa )
- ½cup queso fresco cheese (or cotija, crumbled)
- 2tablespoons Mexican crema (or substitute regular sour cream thinned with a splash of milk)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Lightly coat a large frying pan with vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat until oil shimmers.
Step 3Spread tortilla chips in pan.
Step 4Quickly pour salsa over chips and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer the chips in sauce, undisturbed, until chips absorb some of the liquid and soften, for approximately 10 minutes.
Step 5Divide chilaquiles between two plates; sprinkle half of the cheese on each and drizzle with half of the crema.