Butternut Squash Walnut Parmesan Pasta
Take your family meal from good to gourmet with this appetizing Fall butternut squash pasta dish featuring Stella® Cheese.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1cup walnut halves
- 1(1 1/4 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1medium yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2teaspoons kosher salt, plus salt for pasta water
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1pound rotini pasta
- 1(5 ounce) wedge Stella® Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 3sage leaves, roughly chopped, plus additional leaves for garnish, if desired
- 1cup chicken broth
- ½cup heavy cream
- 1teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1pinch Pinch red pepper flakes
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2Place walnuts on rimmed baking pan. Transfer to oven and bake 8 minutes. Transfer walnuts to small bowl. Leave oven on.
Step 3Add squash and onion to same rimmed baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; toss until well combined. Transfer to oven and bake 15 minutes or until squash is very tender.
Step 4Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions.
Step 5Set aside 1/2 cup Stella® Parmesan cheese for garnish. Add remaining cheese, 3 sage leaves, broth, cream, vinegar, red pepper flakes, walnuts, squash mixture, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to blender and blend until smooth.
Step 6Transfer sauce to large pot. Heat over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta and add to pot with sauce. Cook 2 minutes or until warmed through, stirring frequently.
Step 7Let pasta stand 5 minutes before serving (sauce will continue to thicken). Serve pasta garnished with reserved cheese and additional sage leaves, if desired.