Pork Hot Pot (Slow Cooker Pork Stew) Recipe
This well-seasoned pork and vegetable dish comes from Betty. The pork and vegetables are layered in the crockpot with seasonings and slow cooked to perfection.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2pounds boneless pork shoulder (cubed)
- ¼cup all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1teaspoon dried thyme (crumbled)
- 1teaspoon coriander seeds (crushed)
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- 1(15-ounce) can kidney beans (red or white, liquid reserved)
- 4medium potatoes (sliced into 1/4-inch slices, red, round white, new potatoes, or other waxy variety)
- 4medium onions (sliced)
- 6carrots (cut into 4-inch pieces)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Trim visible fat from pork.
Step 3Toss the pork cubes with flour to coat well.
Step 4Combine salt, thyme, crushed coriander seed, and pepper; reserve.
Step 5Drain liquid from beans into a 2-cup measuring cup; add boiling water to make 1 1/2 cups. If you'd like, you can use chicken broth instead of water.
Step 6Layer vegetables and pork pieces in the slow cooker in the following order, sprinkling each layer with the seasoning mixture: half of each of the potatoes, onions, pork, beans, and carrots.
Step 7Repeat with remaining vegetables, pork and seasoning mixture for a second layer.
Step 8Pour liquid over; dot with butter.
Step 9Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.