Cinnamon apples make a delicious dessert or side dish, and they take just minutes to prepare and cook. They're like apple pie without the crust.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 3tablespoons butter
- 4large apples (Granny Smith or Rome)
- ½cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 ½teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛teaspoon kosher salt
- ½teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Optional: 1 tablespoon apple juice (or water)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Peel the apples and remove the cores. Cut the apples into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices.
Step 3Transfer the apple slices to a bag or bowl. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; toss to coat the apple slices.
Step 4Put the butter in a large skillet and place it over medium heat. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the apple mixture.
Step 5Cook the apples, occasionally stirring, for about 6 to 9 minutes, or until they are tender, and then stir in the vanilla extract.