Pea and Walnut Pesto
A kid-friendly recipe for Pea and Walnut Pesto made with fresh or frozen peas, walnuts, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Serve on pasta, or as a spread.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2cups (10 ounces/285 gm) frozen peas (or fresh)
- ⅓cup (1 1/2 ounces or 40 gm) walnuts
- 2ounces/55 gm Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus extra for serving)
- 3large cloves garlic (peeled, trimmed, and smashed)
- ⅓cup/85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
Step 1Place the peas in a small saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat and simmer just until tender, about 1 to 3 minutes.
Step 2Place the peas in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
Step 3Place the walnuts, cheese, and garlic in the work bowl of a food processor or blender, pulsing several times until coarsely chopped.
Step 4Add the peas and pulse a few more times. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil and blend just until the ingredients form a paste.
Step 5Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 6Serve over freshly cooked pasta, on crostini, or as a dip for vegetable crudités. Enjoy.