Spiced Ginger Shrimp With Burst Tomatoes
This speedy, buttery, one-pan meal stars plump, spiced shrimp zipped up with grated fresh ginger, and sweetened with ripe Sungold tomatoes that burst in the skillet. You can use any aromatic spice mix you have on hand here, which makes it a highly convenient meal as well. Serve this over rice or with crusty bread for mopping up all those rich, jammy tomatoes.
- Serves: 2 persons
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons aromatic spice blend, such as garam masala, Baharat, five-spice, curry powder, or a mild chili powder blend (see Note), plus more to taste
- 1 ½teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- 3scallions, thinly sliced, greens and whites separated
- ¾teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- 1pound extra-large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾cup small (or halved large) cherry tomatoes, preferably yellow Sungold tomatoes
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh lime juice
- ½cup fresh mint leaves, torn or roughly chopped
Step 1In a medium bowl, combine spice blend, ginger, garlic, scallion whites, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add shrimp and toss well. Heat a large skillet over high heat, then add the oil. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the whole tomatoes burst and the halved ones start to wrinkle, about 2 minutes.
Step 2Add shrimp mixture and sauté for another 2 to 4 minutes, turning the shrimp, until they are pink all over.
Step 3Gently stir in butter and cook for another minute, until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove from heat and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Taste and add more salt and spices, if needed. Garnish with mint and scallion greens and serve immediately.