Janetta's 15-Bean Soup
The 15-bean soup is a vegetarian soup made with a bean soup mix, fresh chopped vegetables, and a variety of dried herbs. Or make it with a 16-bean mix.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1(16-ounce) package 15-bean soup mix (or 13-bean, 16-bean, etc.)
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1large onion (chopped)
- 3cloves garlic (large, minced)
- 2bunches green onions (chopped)
- 1teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil)
- 1teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano)
- 1teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme)
- ½teaspoon white pepper
- ½teaspoon black pepper
- ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ¼teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1lemon (or lime, zested)
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2quarts low-sodium vegetable stock (or unsalted vegetable stock or 2 quarts of water with 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock base)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Put the beans in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Cover the beans with water following the package directions and soak them overnight or—if the package directs—do a quick soak and simmer them until just tender.
Step 3Transfer the beans to a colander to drain; set aside.
Step 4Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until they are softened and translucent, stirring frequently.
Step 5Add the minced garlic, chopped green onions, and all of the herbs and spices, including the lemon zest. Cook for about 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
Step 6Add the vinegar and stir.
Step 7Add the beans and stock. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
Step 8Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot simmer the bean mixture for 1 1/2 hours.
Step 9Check the beans occasionally and add additional stock or water if the soup appears too thick for your taste. Check beans for tenderness. If not soft, cook at a simmer for another 1/2 hour.
Step 10Add kosher salt, as needed, to taste.