Chorizo and Rice-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Spicy chorizo and rice stuffed into poblano peppers and roasted to perfection.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1pound chorizo sausage
- 1(10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1small onion, diced
- 1small carrot, grated
- 1small stalk celery, grated
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- ½cup water
- ⅛cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ⅛cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅛cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
Step 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chorizo in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
Step 2Add tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, adobo, basil, and cilantro to the skillet with the chorizo. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat, add fresh parsley, and let rest.
Step 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 4Stuff each poblano pepper half with the chorizo mixture; lay in the baking dish. Add water to the bottom of the dish. Loosely cover with aluminum foil.
Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until peppers are tender but still firm, about 1 hour. Remove foil and sprinkle peppers with Cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper Jack cheeses.
Step 6Turn on the broiler; broil peppers until cheese is brown and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.