Tempeh and Blue Cheese Salad
If you like blue cheese, but never tried tempeh, you will never miss the chicken in this salad recipe.
- Serves: 5 persons
- 1(8 ounce) package tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½cup ranch salad dressing
- 1tablespoon milk
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- ½teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1(15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½small red onion, finely chopped
- 8ounces shredded romaine lettuce
- 2ounces crumbled blue cheese
- ¼teaspoon salt, or to taste
Step 1Place tempeh in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Steam for 20 minutes, then remove, and pat dry. When tempeh has finished steaming, heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool.
Step 2Whisk together ranch dressing, milk, garlic, dill, and salt in a large bowl. Add the cooled tempeh, drained garbanzo beans, bell pepper, celery, red onion, and romaine lettuce. Toss until the salad has been well coated in the dressing. Gently fold in the blue cheese, then season to taste with salt.