Instant Pot® Chicken and Vegetable Tortilla Soup
A great comfort food dish made in the Instant Pot®! A healthier spin on Mexican tortilla soup without sacrificing flavor. With shredded chicken, hearty veggies, and lots of optional toppings, this soup is sure to fill you up and put a smile on your face! Garnish with any or all of the following optional ingredients: rice, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, or jalapeno.
- Serves: 10 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil, or more as needed
- 1(4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1½ cups diced carrots
- 1cup diced celery
- 5cloves garlic, chopped
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2(15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1(14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1(10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1(8 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 4½ cups chicken broth
- 2½ cups water
- 3large red potatoes, chopped
- 1medium lime, juiced, or more to taste
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1tablespoon ground dried chipotle pepper
- 1tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1cup tortilla strips
Step 1Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function; add olive oil. Saute green chilies and onion in the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and garlic; saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 2Add chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, water, potatoes, lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, chipotle pepper, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and oregano. Stir well.
Step 3Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 14 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
Step 4Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Remove chicken and shred meat; return shredded meat to the pot. Serve with tortilla strips on top.