Chicken and Mushroom Bulgogi Lettuce Wraps
The savory Korean bulgogi marinade in this recipe is made with pantry items and livens up just about anything you put it on. Here, the soy-scallion-ginger marinade is used on boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but it can also be brushed on tofu, zucchini or bell peppers for a satisfying vegetarian meal. As the meat cooks, the marinade caramelizes into a sweet-salty sticky glaze that coats the chicken. Serving the grilled chicken and vegetables in lettuce cups is a fun way to enjoy the meal. Korean condiments like kimchi and gochujang are traditional bulgogi accompaniments, but shredded cabbage, salsa or even guacamole would also work. Leftovers can be refrigerated overnight, then chopped and tossed with salad greens.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ½cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½cup chopped scallions (about 5 scallions)
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1(2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2teaspoons turbinado sugar
- ½teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons safflower or canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 ½pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 2large yellow onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 8ounces white button mushrooms, halved, or quartered if large
- Lettuce leaves, such as green leaf, butter lettuce or romaine
- Any combination of cooked short-grain rice, kimchi, gochujang or toasted sesame oil, for serving
Step 1In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger, sugar, pepper and 2 tablespoons oil and mix well. Add chicken and onions and toss to evenly coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Step 2Heat a cast-iron griddle or grill pan over medium-high and lightly grease with oil. Toss mushrooms in remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange half of the chicken, onions and mushrooms in a single layer. Grill until chicken is caramelized and cooked through, turning all ingredients every few minutes, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to serving plate. Repeat with remaining chicken and vegetables.
Step 3Serve chicken bulgogi, onions and mushrooms with lettuce leaves for wrapping. Fill lettuce cups with rice (if using), chicken and vegetables. Top with any combination of kimchi, gochujang and sesame oil. Wrap and enjoy.