Spiced Roast Chicken With Tangy Yogurt Sauce
This weeknight meal is inspired by the spiced chicken and rice that draws lines at halal street carts across Manhattan. Whether it’s lunchtime or late at night, the scent and Mediterranean flavors of grilled and chopped chicken served over turmeric-tinged yellow rice (or wrapped in pita) alongside shredded iceberg salad lures a crowd. Everything gets an imperative, generous drizzle of that signature creamy and tangy white sauce, made here with a blend of yogurt, mayonnaise and spices. Fresh garlic, cilantro and lemon juice are combined with a tasty mix of fragrant spices, then rubbed all over the chicken before it’s roasted until golden and crispy. The iceberg-and-tomato salad offers a cool, refreshing contrast to the spiced chicken.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup neutral oil, such as safflower or canola
- 5garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 ½teaspoons ground sweet paprika
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- ½teaspoon granulated onion
- ¼cup chopped cilantro
- 2tablespoons lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and black pepper
- ½cup plain Greek yogurt (2 percent or whole-milk)
- ¼cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ¾teaspoon granulated sugar
- A big pinch of granulated garlic
- A big pinch of granulated onion
- Salt and black pepper
- To Serve:
- 1small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2medium tomatoes, diced
- Warm pita bread and hot sauce (optional)
Step 1Prepare the chicken: Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, fresh garlic, coriander, paprika, cumin, oregano and granulated onion with half of the cilantro and half of the lemon juice; mix well. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and toss to evenly coat.
Step 2Spread the seasoned chicken in a single layer on a large sheet pan and roast until golden and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Step 3While the chicken roasts, make the white sauce: In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, granulated garlic and granulated onion; season with salt and pepper, then mix well; set aside.
Step 4Add the remaining cilantro and lemon juice to the roasted chicken and mix well, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Divide chicken, lettuce and tomatoes among 4 plates and drizzle with some of the white sauce. Serve with lemon wedges, plus pita and hot sauce, if using.