Shrimp With Creamed Corn and Feta
Fresh summer corn kernels, simmered with feta cheese and a little cream, make a buttery bed for shrimp sautéed in a tomato and bell pepper sauce. Think of it as a lighter, sweeter and wholly inauthentic take on shrimp and grits. If you crave this out of corn season, feel free to use frozen kernels instead.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1 ½pounds extra-large peeled shrimp (12 to 16 a pound)
- ¾teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 3garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼cup heavy cream
- 4cups corn kernels (from 6 to 7 ears corn)
- ½cup crumbled feta cheese, more for serving
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2small red onions, diced
- 1large poblano chile or green bell pepper, diced
- 2large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Large dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
- Basil leaves, for serving
Step 1In a large bowl, toss shrimp with salt and garlic and let rest in the refrigerator until needed (up to 2 hours).
Step 2In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter with the cream over medium heat. Add corn, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring once or twice, until the corn is very soft, 10 to 15 minutes. If all the moisture evaporates before the corn is soft, add a few teaspoons water to the pan.
Step 3Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend corn mixture until you get a chunky purée. Mix in feta, black pepper and salt to taste. Cover and keep warm until needed.
Step 4In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and sauté until pale golden and soft, 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, a large pinch of salt, and a tablespoon or two of water if the pan looks dry, and sauté until the tomatoes break down and turn saucelike, about 8 minutes.
Step 5Add shrimp, lemon juice and Worcestershire and hot sauces. Sauté until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir remaining butter into pan and add more salt, if needed.
Step 6Serve corn topped with shrimp and plenty of crumbled feta. Garnish with cilantro and basil.