Slow Cooker Red Beans With Ham and Rice
Our recipe for red beans and rice is flavored with ham hocks or ham bones, along with optional sliced andouille sausage and aromatic vegetables.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1pound dry red kidney beans
- 2ham hocks or a meaty ham bone
- 1cup cooked rice (hot)
- 1large bell pepper (chopped)
- 3ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 ½cups onion (chopped)
- 1small carrot (diced)
- 2teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2bay leaves
- 4cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- ¼teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- ¼teaspoon dried sage (crumbled)
- ¼teaspoon ground marjoram
- ½cup dry red wine (or beef or chicken broth )
- 1 ½quarts water
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1teaspoon pepper
- ½teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½teaspoon white pepper
- Garnish: 3 tablespoons green onions
- Optional: smoked sausage (cooked)
Step 1Soak beans in about 1 1/2 quarts of water for 8 hours or overnight.
Step 2In the crockery insert of the slow cooker, combine the soaked beans with ham hocks or ham bone, bell pepper, celery, onion, carrot, Tabasco sauce, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, sage, marjoram, and water to cover.
Step 3Cover the pot and cook the beans on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until the beans are tender.
Step 4Add the dry red wine or broth along with the salt, pepper, cayenne, and white pepper, to taste. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 hours.
Step 5Remove the ham bone or hocks and chop the meat; return the meat to the pot.
Step 6Remove the bay leaves and transfer the beans to a serving dish. Top with chopped parsley and chopped green onions for serving.
Step 7Serve over rice with sliced browned smoked sausage, if desired.