Turbo beans & cheese on toast
Make an elevated version of beans on toast using your favourite beans, plus tomatoes, garlic and chipotle chilli – they're great topped with cheese
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1large onion, finely chopped
- 4garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tsp smoked paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1tsp ground cumin
- chipotle chilli paste, to taste, or use chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g can chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2x 400g cans beans of your choice (kidney and cannellini work well), drained and rinsed
- 4-8 slices crusty bread
- 150g grated cheddar
Step 1Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8-10 mins until softened and slightly caramelised. Add the garlic and spices, the chipotle chilli paste or chilli flakes, if using, and some seasoning. Fry for a few minutes more until the mixture is fragrant.
Step 2Add the tomatoes, then swirl out the pan using 100ml water and add this too. Simmer for 10-15 mins until the mixture has thickened. Blitz the sauce using a hand blender, then taste for seasoning. Tip in the beans and mix well to coat. Warm through over a medium heat for 5 mins until the beans are piping hot.
Step 3Heat the grill to high and toast the bread slices for 3-5 mins. Top with the beans and grated cheese, and pop under the grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Sprinkle with a little paprika and serve immediately.