Turkey Thighs With Pickled Cranberries and Onions for Two
Roasted turkey thighs are quicker, easier and more adaptable than a whole bird, and just as satisfying with their crisp, bronzed skin and tender meat. You can scale this recipe to feed as many as you’re serving, or if you want to make extra for leftovers. Simply double, triple or even quadruple it, spreading out the thighs on your largest sheet pan. Or you can halve it to feed one. The quick-pickled onions and cranberries are a tangy contrast to the richness of the meat, and, with their fuchsia hue, a welcome bit of color on the plate.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 2garlic cloves, finely grated, pressed or minced
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves, preferably lemon thyme
- 1 ½pounds bone-in, skin-on turkey thighs (2 medium thighs)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ½cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¼cup chopped fresh cilantro, basil or parsley leaves, for serving
Step 1Finely grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from the lemon and put it in a small bowl with the garlic and thyme. Halve the lemon and squeeze 1 tablespoon of the juice into the bowl. Mix everything into a paste.
Step 2Pat the turkey thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Smear turkey with the paste and place thighs on a plate. Refrigerate, uncovered, so the skin can dry out, for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Step 3Meanwhile, squeeze the remaining juice from the lemon halves into a medium bowl. Add the onion, cranberries, lime juice, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing well. Let the mixture sit at room temperature, tossing occasionally, until the onions wilt and turn pink, 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (These can be made up to 3 days in advance.)
Step 4Heat oven to 375 degrees. Put turkey thighs on a baking pan and dot with butter. Roast the thighs for 40 to 50 minutes, until the skin is crisp, the meat is cooked through and the juices run clear. (No need to rest here.)
Step 5Serve turkey with a little of the cranberries and pickles on top, with herbs scattered over everything.