Tyler Florence's Chicken Enchilada
Here is a delicious recipe for chicken enchiladas, full of delicious herbs and spices and lots of cheese.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
- Optional: Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2teaspoons cumin powder
- 2teaspoons garlic powder
- 1teaspoon Mexican Spice Blend
- 1red onion (chopped)
- 2cloves garlic (minced)
- 1cup of frozen corn (thawed)
- 5canned whole green chiles (seeded and coarsely chopped)
- 4canned chipotle chiles (seeded and minced)
- 1(28-ounce) can of stewed tomatoes
- ½teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 16corn tortillas
- 1 ½cups enchilada sauce (canned)
- 1cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
- Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves (chopped scallions, sour cream, chopped tomatoes)
Step 1Coat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Step 2Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder, and Mexican spices before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.
Step 3Saute onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender.
Step 4Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine.
Step 5Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Step 6Pull chicken breasts apart by hand into shredded strips. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.
Step 7Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable.
Step 8Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat.
Step 9Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Step 10Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven until cheese melts.
Step 11Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving.
Step 12Serve with Spanish rice and beans. Recipe courtesy of the Food Network .