Popular and spicy West African chicken and rice dish.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1large onion, sliced
- 2(14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- ½(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2cups water
- 1(3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1cup uncooked white rice
- 1cup diced carrots
- ½pound fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- ¼teaspoon ground nutmeg
Step 1Pour oil into large saucepan. Cook onion in oil over medium-low heat until translucent.
Step 2Stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste, and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in water, and add chicken pieces. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 3Stir in rice, carrots, and green beans, and season with nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the chicken is fork-tender and the rice is cooked, 25 to 30 minutes.