This drink, served at Whisler’s, a bar in Austin, Tex., is a classic Moscow Mule with a Spanish twist, using brandy de Jerez and sherry, as well as ginger liqueur, lemon and ginger beer. Brett Esler urges the use of drier styles of ginger beer, sherry and brandy for the cocktail. For presentation, the traditional copper mug will work, but Mr. Esler says a Tom Collins glass will do as well.
- Serves: 1 person
- 2ounces Spanish brandy, preferably Lustau Solera Reserva
- ½ounce ginger liqueur, preferably Domaine de Canton
- ½ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1bar spoon dry sherry, preferably Lustau East India Solera
- 3ounces ginger beer, preferably Ginger People
- Candied ginger, for garnish
Step 1In a cocktail shaker three-quarters filled with ice, combine all the liquid ingredients except the beer, and shake until chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into a copper mug or Tom Collins glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer and garnish with the candied ginger.