Macaroni salad, a cookout favorite, doesn’t take much to be great — just the right amount of moisture and seasoning. This version draws its inspiration from the macaroni salad at the Kennedy Fried Chicken restaurants. For the perfect balance, use a more savory brand of mayonnaise here, since the recipe gets its sweetness from a bit of sugar and shredded carrots. Make sure the macaroni salad is cold when you serve it; the only time macaroni has to be served hot is when it’s covered in mounds of cheese, like this Southern Macaroni and Cheese.
- Serves: 8 persons
- Kosher salt
- 1pound elbow noodles
- 2celery ribs, finely diced
- 1red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½cup shredded carrots (from 1 medium carrot)
- ½cup finely diced red onion
- 1cup mayonnaise
- ½cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ¼cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ½teaspoon black pepper, plus more as needed
Step 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles until a little past al dente, then rinse under cold water and drain. Once the noodles are cool enough to handle with your hands, transfer them to a large bowl.
Step 2Add the celery, bell pepper, carrots and onion to the cooled noodles; toss to combine.
Step 3Prepare the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
Step 4Pour dressing over the pasta mixture and toss until everything is well coated. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.