Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese from Almond Breeze
Pairs well with a crisp autumn day and good company. For extra creaminess use any Almond Breeze Almond-Cashew Blend instead of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 4cups diced butternut squash
- 2½ cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original OR any Almond Breeze Almond-Cashew Blend
- ½teaspoon garlic powder
- ½teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1pinch ground nutmeg
- 1(15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 8ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3cups packed chopped kale
- 1pound whole wheat (or alternative grain) pasta
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Additional shredded Cheddar cheese for topping
Step 1Combine the butternut squash, Almond Breeze, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and nutmeg in a pot. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the squash is tender.
Step 2Add the butternut squash mixture to a blender with the white beans and blend until completely smooth. A stick blender should also work here, if you prefer.
Step 3Transfer butternut squash/bean mixture back to the pot (no heat yet). Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring until melted and incorporated. Then, add the kale.
Step 4Return the pot to heat and cook over low heat until kale is wilted. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 5Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, then mix with the sauce.
Step 6Serve mac & cheese immediately or pour into a baking dish, top with additional shredded cheese, and broil until golden brown and bubbling.