Use any mix of cucumbers you like for this tangy salad. If using slicing cucumbers — the slightly thicker ones you’ll find with seeds and sometimes waxier-seeming skins — you might want to peel them first and remove the seeds, which can dilute the dressing. To seed, simply halve the cucumbers lengthwise and use a teaspoon to gently scrape out the seeds. Feel free to play around with shapes, too. Slicing the cucumbers into rounds is easy enough, but half moons or other bite-size pieces are also welcome.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup buttermilk
- 3tablespoons whole-milk plain or Greek yogurt
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½teaspoon kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal), plus more to taste
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½pounds cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
Step 1In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, lemon juice, poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
Step 2Add cucumbers and scallions and toss to combine. Salad can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Refrigerate until ready to serve.