Smoked Gouda and Broccoli Flatbreads
There are equal amounts of cheese and broccoli on this flatbread, but it’s the smoked Gouda that grabs your attention. Its buttery and lightly smoked flavor is accentuated by the scallions, which sweeten and brown as they roast. These are super speedy with the help of store-bought flatbread, naan or pocketless pita, but because the breads vary in size, adjust the quantity of topping to cover yours. (If you have extra toppings, make a melt on toast). Feel free to adapt with what you have: Swap out Gouda for another melting cheese like Cheddar or fontina; and for the broccoli, substitute spinach, kale, thinly sliced brussels sprouts or another quick-cooking vegetable.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 8ounces smoked Gouda, grated on the small holes of a box grater (about 2 cups)
- 8ounces broccoli stems and florets, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3scallions, thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4flatbread, naan or pocketless pita (roughly 8-inch diameter, store-bought or homemade)
Step 1Heat the oven to 450 degrees and place a rack in the lower and upper third of the oven. In a large bowl, combine the Gouda, broccoli, scallions and oil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Step 2Place the flatbread on two baking sheets, then top evenly with the cheese mixture. Roast, rotating pans halfway through, until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes.