Cheater’s Turkey Stock
If you have the time or desire (or both) to make your own turkey stock from additional parts and bones before Thanksgiving cooking gets started, feel free. The rest of us can doctor store-bought broth with the “extra” parts of the turkey.
- Serves: 4 persons
- Olive oil
- Neck, heart and liver from 1 turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1onion, chopped
- 3to 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2to 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4cups low-sodium chicken broth
- A few sprigs leftover herbs, such as parsley or thyme
Step 1Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pot over medium heat, and add the turkey neck, heart and liver. (Discard the kidneys.) Season with salt and pepper, and cook, flipping once, until nicely brown on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Add onion, garlic and celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they’ve started to get some color, 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 2Cover with chicken broth and 1 cup water. Simmer gently until the broth tastes like you’ve simmered it all day from scratch, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, season with more salt and pepper and strain.