Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
Everyone loves loaded baked potatoes! Now enjoy that same great flavor combination in this super easy loaded mashed potato casserole recipe.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 3 ½to 4 pounds russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½cup cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½cup sour cream (room temperature)
- ¼cup whole or low-fat milk (room temperature)
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (softened)
- ½teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 8slices bacon (cooked, chopped, divided)
- ½bunch green onions, white and green parts (thinly sliced)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place potatoes in a large saucepan or pot. Cover with cold water by 2 inches and add 1 tablespoon of the salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
Step 3Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil or butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
Step 4Return potatoes to the saucepan and using a potato masher, mash potatoes until almost smooth.
Step 5Add cream cheese , sour cream , milk, butter, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
Step 6Continue mashing until the mixture is well blended and smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or pepper, if desired.
Step 7Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and half of the bacon.
Step 8Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared casserole dish.
Step 9Use a spatula or fork to spread potatoes and make an irregular surface. (This will create ridges to capture the additional cheese and crisp while baking.)
Step 10Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Step 11Remove from the oven and scatter the remaining cheese and bacon over the potatoes. Top with green onions.
Step 12Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Step 13Serve and enjoy.