Classic Caprese Salad
This classic summer dish doesn’t get any simpler or more delicious. Use different-colored heirloom tomatoes for the prettiest salad, and buffalo milk mozzarella for the best tasting one.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1pound fresh, best-quality mozzarella (preferably buffalo milk)
- 4medium heirloom tomatoes
- 1bunch fresh basil, leaves only, some reserved for garnish
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- High-quality extra-virgin olive oil
Step 1While mozzarella is cold, slice it into 1/4-inch slices. Let it sit, loosely covered, to come to room temperature while you prepare the tomatoes.
Step 2Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick slices, leaving them in a single layer on the cutting board as you go. Sprinkle generously with salt.
Step 3On a serving platter, arrange the mozzarella, tomato slices, and whole basil leaves so they overlap slightly. Pour any tomato juices from the cutting board over the dish. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper, and drizzle with plenty of oil. Top with reserved basil, and serve.