Vegetable Tabbouleh With Chickpeas
This vegetable-packed salad requires no cooking, other than boiling water to soak the bulgur wheat. Sweet tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers and crisp asparagus provide texture, while creamy chickpeas add heft. A tangy shallot-lemon vinaigrette brightens the dish and soaks into the bulgur as it sits, developing more flavor over time. The salad can be made a few hours ahead; for best results, toss the salad with half of the dressing and reserve the remaining half. When ready to serve, toss with the reserved dressing to freshen it up. It’s a satisfying vegetarian main, a great side for roasted meats and fish, or an easy make-ahead picnic dish.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1 ¼cups medium bulgur wheat
- Boiling water, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2tablespoons minced shallot
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼teaspoon grated garlic
- 6tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 8ounces asparagus, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal 1/8-inch-thick
- 8ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1(15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 4ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (optional)
- ½cup coarsely chopped parsley
Step 1In a medium bowl, combine bulgur wheat with enough boiling water to cover by 1 inch. Season lightly with salt and stir to combine. Cover tightly with a tight-fitting lid and let stand until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well, pressing out excess liquid. Spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
Step 2Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine shallot, mustard, lemon juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in oil until well blended.
Step 3Add remaining ingredients to the vinaigrette and toss to evenly coat. Once bulgur has cooled, add bulgur, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss again. Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter to serve.