Polish Potato Salad (Sałatka Kartofli)
Polish potato salad, known as salatka kartofli or salatka ziemniaczana, is made with finely diced potatoes and vegetables dressed in mayonnaise.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1 ¼pounds potatoes (red or white)
- ¾cup carrots (cold, cooked, cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- ¾cup celery (finely chopped)
- 4tablespoons dill pickle (finely chopped)
- 3tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- ½to 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼to 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- ½to 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or as necessary)
- 1to 4 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
Step 1Cook the potatoes in their skins. Cool, peel, and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
Step 2In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, carrots , celery, pickle , onion, salt, and pepper, being careful not to break the potatoes apart.
Step 3In a separate small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar (up to 4 teaspoons) together and gently fold it into the potato mixture, making sure all the vegetables are coated.
Step 4Chill, covered, until serving time.