Slow Cooker Mashed Red Potatoes With Parmesan
When there’s no space on the stovetop to boil and mash potatoes, braise and mash them in a slow cooker — an easy and forgiving one-pot method. This rustic version has big flavors, thanks to the garlic that's cooked and smashed with the potatoes. The five garlic cloves lends a fairly assertive flavor, so decrease it to 2 or 3 cloves if you want a more subtle effect. You can leave the dish on warm for up to 3 hours after you mash the potatoes, just stir in the Parmesan and parsley right before serving.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 5pounds red-skinned potatoes, cut into roughly 1-inch chunks
- 5garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 2teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated (about 2 1/4 cups)
- Leaves of 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
Step 1Toss together the potatoes, garlic, olive oil, juice of 1/4 the lemon (about 1 tablespoon), salt and a generous amount of black pepper in a 5- to 8-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, stirring once or twice to encourage even cooking, until the potatoes are very tender, about 4 hours.
Step 2Coarsely mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher. Just before serving, fold in the Parmesan, parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary.