Fennel and Radicchio Salad With Anchovy and Egg
The combination of sweet fennel, bitter radicchio and salty anchovy is a winning one. Look for fennel with the tops still attached and firm, pale green bulbs. As for anchovies, any type will work, but spend a bit more for a better brand of anchovies, packed in glass jars. (Anchovies from Spain are quite good.) If using tinned supermarket anchovies, rinse the fillets and pat dry before using to mute their fishiness.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3medium fennel bulbs, topped and trimmed, fronds reserved for another use
- Salt and black pepper
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 small lemon)
- ¼teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1small garlic clove, grated or smashed to a paste
- 1medium head radicchio (about 12 ounces)
- 3large eggs (cooked 8 minutes), cooled in ice water and peeled
- 4to 6 anchovy fillets, preferably the best quality you can find, rinsed, patted dry and halved
Step 1Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice fennel crosswise 1/8-inch thick. Place slices in a wide salad bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and garlic. Toss everything together, coating the fennel well. Taste for salt and adjust. (This can be done up to 30 minutes ahead.)
Step 2Remove and discard any wilted outer leaves of radicchio. Separate tender leaves, tearing large ones into smaller pieces.
Step 3To finish the salad, quarter the eggs. Add radicchio to the salad bowl and sprinkle very lightly with salt. Toss together radicchio and fennel, coating everything well. Garnish with quartered eggs. (Yolks should have a moist center.) Top eggs with the anchovy fillets.