Spicy Smoked Turkey and Black Bean Soup
Spice up a turkey-vegetable soup with tomatoes, lemon juice, and jalapenos and enjoy a zesty meal. It's a great way to use up leftover turkey.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2cups chicken stock
- 4cups vegetable juice (such as V-8®)
- 2(14 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3cups shredded smoked turkey
- 1(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1jalapeno pepper, minced (or more to taste)
- ¼teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
Step 1Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Cook and stir onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper in hot oil until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 2Pour chicken stock into the pot and reduce heat to low. Stir vegetable juice, black beans, turkey, diced tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, salt, and pepper into the stock. Raise heat to medium, bring the soup to a simmer, and cook until heated through and the flavors meld, 15 to 30 minutes.